LogBox

So, I’ve decided to try and publish more things to GitHub this year – starting with LogBox. LogBox will hopefully soon become a collection of scripts that can be used to monitor the performance of websites hosted on shared hosting servers. At the moment, LogBox contains only the one script, which goes by the name of “loadavg”. If you’ve every used a *nix machine before, you’ll probably know what the load average is – it is a measurement of the current CPU load, usually over the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes.

The loadavg script will check the load average of the server which it is being run on, and if the reported load averages cross a certain threshold, then a warning email will be sent to an email address of your choice. In addition to this, the current load averages will be logged to a MySQL Database.

The script is designed to be run as a cronjob (which most shared hosts support) – however, if cron is not available then it is possible to use “fakecron”, which is available here: http://quirm.net/2008/10/02/fake-cron/.

Click Here to check out LogBox on GitHub 

Success!

WordPress should now be fixed. It’s not the ideal fix, as I am not 100% sure what was causing the problem – there where no obvious errors in my logfiles. However, I think it’s something to do with a combination of mod_rewrite, fCGI, suphp and the Portfolio Press wordpress theme. I have now switched themes, and I don’t have the same problem… fingers crossed, anyway!

I have been fairly busy during my week off from University developing a website for a local holiday Chalet – check it out here. It’s not 100% finished yet, but the general design is complete. I have also been doing some a little bit of SEO on Anglesey Sailing, in an attempt to boost it’s rankings. I can honestly recommend both sites, and the services that they offer – so if ever you’re looking to go on holiday to Anglesey, or to charter a boat in the Anglesey Area, check out the aforementioned sites!

Bizzare Error

For some reason, the category links on the right (as well as tag links) aren’t working – at all. I think this has something to do with either my server setup, (fCGI and SUEXEC), the Theme i’m using (Portfolio Press), a combination of the two or something totally different. This might be a good opportunity to start using Jekyll, so if you could hang on in there for now (all 0 of you), I’ll hopefully have it sorted in a week or so’s time.